Thursday, February 23, 2012

Terrible Twos or an Ear Infection?

Two weeks ago, I had a screaming, crying, clingy child on my hands for a few days. The first day, I though he was just having a bad day. The second day, I thought we had just hit the terrible twos. The third day, my mom and dad said he was probably sick somehow, but I had no running vehicle at my disposal. The fourth day, I took Shane to the Dr. and found out he had an ear infection, the poor kid!

Those were really difficult days. It was like a continual tantrum, and nothing I did made it better. I wished during those days that I was still nursing him because I know that would've comforted him, but I seriously wanted to pull out my hair. And naps and sleep went way downhill. I naively thought that we had hit the terrible twos and this was just something I was going to have to deal with. Silly me, I know. I don't know what I was thinking...he was a completely different child!

So I took him to the Dr. and she could only see part of an eardrum in one ear, the rest was too covered by wax. But what she could see was inflamed and red so she decided on ear infection (he also had terrible breath, which was one of his few symptoms). In retrospect I wish I'd asked her to do something about the wax buildup but at the time she told me to try to flush it with warm water during bath time. As far as I can tell, that hasn't done anything! And he HATES it. I usually can't even get any water in.

We were prescribed amoxicillin, a teaspoon twice a day, and I'm also using colloidal silver. He is so good about taking his medicine and letting me put drops in his ears! He also quickly went back to himself; happy, smiley, easygoing. Thank God! This (at 20 months) is also the first time he's ever had to take medicine for anything. Well, other than Tylenol occasionally for his teeth.

I wonder if this will become a pattern though. Nathan has a massive overproduction of earwax (seriously, it's nasty) and he had a lot of ear infections as a kid. I'm guessing he probably should've had tubes. So I'm really hoping that Shane hasn't inherited his daddy's ears!

No comments: