Monday, October 12, 2009

7 weeks, 1 day


This is what my baby looks like this week, and this is what baby center says about it: Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry.If you could see inside your womb, you'd spot eyelid folds partially covering her peepers, which already have some color, as well as the tip of her nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of your baby's brain are growing, and her liver is churning out red blood cells until her bone marrow forms and takes over this role. She also has an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion. A loop in your baby's growing intestines is bulging into her umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from her tiny body.


One of my preggo books mentioned that my uterus has doubled in size in the last 7 weeks, and the baby will double in size this week.


On Saturday Nathan and I went to the junkyard. It was a lovely day, chilly and foggy with a little drizzle every now and again. I'm not being sarcastic, I really love days like that, and we've had about a week straight of them. We really like going to junkyards and looking for good deals. One time we found some sport mirrors for his truck that are typically expensive and difficult to find. This past Saturday we found a back bumper for my car. It's not the same color, but that's what paint is for. Parts for the Teggie are really expensive new, so we junkyard a lot. We also found a cap for my clutch fluid reservoir. My old one got lost somehow in the engine swap. They guy that owned the junkyard was pretty rude. You have to tell them what part you want and decide on a price before you can pull, which we did. But then while Nathan was pulling it the owner kept yelling at us, "What are you doing?" in an Indian accent. Nathan would remind him that we'd already agreed on a price, and he'd leave. Five minutes later, he'd do it all over again. I felt guilty, even though we weren't doing anything wrong! It was mucky and dirty and cold and fun!



Sunday was my day to sing in church and afterwards we went over to Thomas and Melissa's to watch the Cowboys game. I don't have any great regard for the misnamed American game that is actually played mostly with the hands so I took a nap in the recliner. It was exactly what the baby ordered. We grilled after the game was over (Cowboys won) which was good 'cause I was starving! Then the boys (N in white and Thomas in black) decided that they should try to start a fire in the burn barrel. Now remember, it's been raining for several weeks now, and all of the branches were soaked. A bucket of dryer lint, 2 empty charcoal bags, and the entire bottle of lighter fluid later, they made fire! Then they beat on their chests, grunted and screeched, and declared themselves MAN!


I'm doing well. Not throwing up, although I'm really nauseous. My mom told me that's still considered "morning" sickness. She suggested plain carbs such as rice or potatoes with a little butter, saltines, etc. I really like my whole grain toast with some chunky PB melting on it. At least then I'm getting some protein. The part that really irritates me is that I get really hungry, although nothing really sounds good, but as soon as I sit down and eat I take a couple of bites and I'm full. I mean FULL. Like, after-Thanksgiving-dinner-so-full-I-want-to-barf-FULL. So I wrap my food up and put in the fridge. A couple hours later, I'm STARVED again. So irritating. I don't like eating every few hours--I feel like a pig! I know it's actually better for us though.

2 comments:

Dusty Penguin said...

Nice post. Look at the cute little toes:) So amazing. It's good that you had a nice relaxing afternoon. The junkyard story was funny. There are "grazing" junkyards, then there are "restaurant" junkyards (where they have absolutely everything catalogued and you just ask for the part and they bring it to you. Grazing is more fun, but the other is a whole lot easier!!

Mommy Becoming said...

Yeah, but "grazing" is usually cheaper!