Wednesday, September 23, 2009

4 Weeks, 4 Days

Well last night we announced the baby news to Nathan’s family. We took his mom and dad out to supper at El Paseo’s, which is one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. (They would be so much better though if they would sell Sopapillas!) We wore our shirts, but they didn’t say anything the whole time we were eating. Finally after we got the check and we were sitting there talking Nathan just told them. They were super excited. Brian, my father in law, starting claiming it as a boy and my mother in law asked me if Alie (our 4 month old niece) cried when I held her. I wondered why she asked, but told her that she always smiles and giggles at me. Come to find out that there’s an old wives tale that if you are pregnant and you hold a baby girl, if she cries it will be a girl and if she laughs it will be a boy. I thought that was cute. Our baby will be their second grandchild and my parents first. All of our parents are really excited. Nathan called Andrea and asked her if she had any prenatal vitamins left. When she wanted to know why, he told her that I was going to need them. Then he called a lot of his relatives from his mom’s phone and told them. The way it works down here is that if one person knows something, everyone knows it and probably not a true version of the real story. So if Nathan hadn’t called them, and for whoever hears it through the grapevine, I’ll probably ending having puppies, or guppies, or something randomly strange.


When we got home, Andrea was excited and hugged us, and she and mom and I sat down and talked for a few minutes.
I called my dear friend Melissa around 8:30. I had planned to wait to tell her until the weekend but I was so excited that I just couldn’t wait any longer, so I asked her to meet me at the Starbucks down the road. Thankfully, she didn’t have class until 10 this morning so she was able to meet me. I got there first and got a decaf white chocolate mocha (yum!) and wrote in the card I got for her. It said something about how we’re there for each other when we’re going crazy, but we’d be outta luck if something happened to both of us at once. So I wrote “So you’d better not get pregnant too!” Well, she was really happy, and Nathan and I have asked her to be Baby’s godmother. We stood around and talked until around 11, then we headed home. When she got home she sent me the sweetest text. It said,
I’m home. And…Put your hand on your tummy…
Lord, I thank you for the life that you’ve given to Nathan and Alesha. I ask that you protect this baby, this mom and this dad. I ask that you bless this family, that this pregnancy be successful and easy, Lord. You know the desires of their heart with this child and I ask that if it is your will that their desires be granted. I thank you Lord for all of these things, and it is in your holy and precious name we pray, Amen.

Isn’t that great?! She is, as Anne of Green Gables would say, my Bosom Friend, the one I’ve been asking God to give me ever since we moved here.

I still have no sickness today. I am trying to firmly believe that I won’t get sick, since your mind is so powerful. We’ll find out if it works :) I am starting to feel very tired (although that could be since Nathan stayed up till 12:30 and therefore so did I!) and this heartburn is SUCH A KILLER!!!! I get it if I eat a lot, a little, or not at all, no matter what I eat or when. I’m eating Rolaids like candy and it doesn’t do a thing! Although I guess that’s not so bad compared to barfing, or pregnant moms without a roof over their head or any tums to take at all. Hey, what I am I complaining about?!

1 comment:

Dusty Penguin said...

I had just typed a nice long comment and lost it. Grrr. Love the stories. The prayer was beautiful--wish I'd thought to do that:( I'm glad you have a bosum friend there. Too bad about the heartburn. Drink lots of water. At least the rolaids are giving you calcium. Exercise. Get lots of sleep. Pamper yourself:)
Love, Mumsy