Monday, June 30, 2014

24 Weeks and Star Spangled Babies Shower



24 Weeks is always an exciting time--24 weeks is considered Viability! Viability, meaning that's about the earliest a doctor would try to save a baby if you were to give birth, or that the baby would be able to survive. 28 weeks is actually better in terms of baby's prognosis but 24 weeks is a good milestone to reach.

24 Weeks--Cantaloupes!

The babies may weight about 1 and 1/3 lb, and be about a foot long. Their movement is amazing! That has always been my favourite part of pregnancy, but it's even more mind blowing now when I feel one kick, and then the other kick back, and the squirming and the somersaulting! I love to try to picture them "playing" with each other. At the last scan one of the twins was head down and one was breech. The U/S Tech also changed her mind about which twin was A and which was B. At our 20 week scan, Dani was A, and on my right; Dean was B, and on my left. At our 14 week scan Dean was A, on my right, and Dani was B, on my left. At the quick heartbeat check at my 23 week visit, they were back to the 14 week position. Who knows what they will be next time! I guess I'll find out tomorrow--I have another growth scan! (I have a growth ultrasound every four weeks, and a checkup every two.)


The above picture kind of gives you a better idea than a cantaloupe as to their size. I really don't feel as though there are two babies that size in there. I actually feel like I don't really look pregnant at all to people who don't know it's not just fat, but I guess I do since I've been getting a lot of "when are you due?!" questions. And then I walk past a mirror and I'm like, nope, that doesn't look like pudge!

It seems like everywhere I go people ask me how I feel and I'm not always sure what to say. I feel fine, but I think people expect me not to! Honestly, I seem to kind of go in waves. Last week I think we maybe had a growth spurt, and my belly hurt and I was tired. This week I have a little more energy, and about a two page to do list. Overall? I really couldn't complain at all. I'm having twins. I'm going to be uncomfortable, and as the weeks pass I'm going to get even more uncomfortable! I think I'll save the complaining for when I really need sympathy, and continue to say I feel great for now. 

Whoa. There's a difference!

At 23 weeks the babies were supposedly the size of grapefruit. Grapefruit to Cantaloupe seems like a big size jump, but I supposed they are going to be putting on a lot of weight now. The big happening of week 23 was I completely forgot to go to the endocrinologist. Oops! Rescheduled, but it's a month away.

23 Weeks--Grapefruit

I don't have a size comparison picture for 22 weeks, because the fruit was supposed to be papaya and the only time I ever bought one of those in the US I nearly barfed trying to eat it. It was not the papaya of my childhood! Suffice to say, I wasn't about to waste money buying two of them.

STAR SPANGLED BABIES 


I was very blessed in early June to be a part of a baby shower, Star Spangled Babies, hosted by Operation Homefront. Sign ups were online and filled up within about two hours, so I must've gotten in in the nick of time! There there were around 125 ladies there, either due soon or with teeny tiny newborns. Once we signed in we filed through a front room of pregnancy and mother related services booths--babywearing, nursing, doula, formula, WIC, and a couple of others that I can't remember. They also had an area set up where a local photographer took a maternity portrait of each of us (which reminds me, I never got my link to get mine! Hmmm.) She wasn't allowed to give out her name or info, but I figured out later in the afternoon that she was a photographer Nathan had told me about months and months ago--who happens to be the wife of his chief! We had quite a nice conversation near the candy bar. 

Photography was done by Sassy Snapz

Eventually we went through a buffet for a delicious lunch, played some fun games, filed through the candy bar (I shouldn't have spent so much time talking to the photographer--all that was left by the time I got there were two Dove chocolates! Which were delicious, by the way), and got started on the raffle!

Candy Bar

The big ticket items (things like swings or pack n plays) were given away by raffle. I would guess maybe 25 women won. Then we had a speaker, and were released to another room to receive our shower gifts--a 31 diaper bag filled with baby gifts, and a second gift bag full of "essentials". Twin mommies got double, since they had a few extra things. The biggest surprise was that we were each taking home a brand new Evenflo car seat!! I nearly cried, what a great gift! It was fun to get together with other ladies and shower our babies.

Super cute decorations!

 Oh, and I nearly forgot, I made it into the news spot! My two seconds of fame. Literally, I'm at 22 and 23 seconds--polka dot shirt and curly hair. Check it out here if you want to see.

Here are a pictures of some of the goodies I brought home. Thanks so much, Operation Homefront!

Two diaper bags and two gift bags

Two new car seats for when the babies are a little older

Closeup of the boy set--they didn't have girl left so I got boy and gender neutral.

Some of the loot from the bags

Two handmade baby quilts.
And there you have it folks, you're caught up!

2 comments:

Hannatu said...

Wow, what a great bunch of stuff you got at the shower. And I'm so glad they gave it to you in double!

Mommy Becoming said...

Jen Gilman That baby shower thing was so cool! What a great idea!!
June 30 at 6:27pm · Like

Corey Becky Mathis Live reading your blog honey! Love that you and the other ladies were treated to such a special day. We love and miss y'all! Can't wait to see more pics of Shane and Azaria and the twins!
June 30 at 6:31pm · Like · 1

Leah Sprinkle Such a great idea to blog about you twin pregnancy! Wish I would've though about that
June 30 at 6:42pm · Like

Arlene Daniel Coulter Loved this!
June 30 at 8:59pm · Like

Alesha Vines Thanks guys! Leah it's never too late to start! I blogged a lot through Shane's pregnancy and his first year, but after I was pregnant with Azaria I didn't seem to have as much computer time, and we were crazy never in one place!
June 30 at 9:22pm · Like

Krysty Brown That is AMAZING! How wonderful that they'd give you all of that stuff! I just love your blog posts as well.
June 30 at 9:25pm · Like

David Taylor An amazing woman raising amazing kids. and then some more... I am so happy for you both....
June 30 at 9:43pm · Like · 1

Alesha Vines Thanks Krysty! Aw David, that's sweet. I dreamed about you guys and the Ranch last night. I dreamed I came for a visit before the twins were born and I walked in, but you weren't home because you were on vacation with all your kids. Some strange lady came up to me and said she was the secretary, but she recognized my name after I told her I helped with the tile mosaic so she told me to show myself around. So I went and saw your new stable house, and the new yard, and then I sat around and I was bummed because you and Hopie weren't there. So random!
June 30 at 9:57pm · Like

Amanda Lutz What an awesome shower! I'm still adoring your descriptions of carrying twins. It is truly a blessing to me
July 1 at 6:44am · Unlike · 1

Natalie Wilkins I love seeing all the shower stuff! Wow, they gave you a lot of stuff! And love all the pics. It was fun seeing you on the news clip.
July 1 at 7:54am · Unlike · 3

Patty Stormont Loved this! You do well at the details we love to actually feel a part of this special time!
July 1 at 8:40am · Unlike · 2

Angel Estigoy you're looking so good, I love seeing the little faces next to your belly holding up the fruit, cute
July 1 at 4:56pm · Like

Mary Brashear I will be sending Dani and DEAN something for their shower. I'll also be sending Shane and Azaria something for their birthday. I love all you guys. I'm glad you had a great shower.
July 1 at 8:53pm · Like