Monday, April 12, 2010

Date Day and Dr. Appointment

We were driving home from a friend's house late Friday night when we saw a lady trying to push her Blazer up a hill. Alone.  Nathan quickly flipped a U and ran to help her push.  He managed to get it out of the intersection and then hooked up a tow chain and towed her into a parking lot.  Thank God we were in the truck and not my car!  Then he found out she lived across town and didn't have a ride home so we gave her a lift.  She was very grateful, and we were glad to help.  My honey is such a gentleman. Well, usually!

Since Nathan was able to be home this weekend and the weather is nice we went to the Fine Arts Festival in downtown Fort Worth. It's free!
 
It was PACKED.  We saw a comedian, El Gleno, doing a funny little act as a zebra. 

We didn't stay too long. I would've loved to look around more, but it was just SO crowded that I couldn't stand it. And, to be really honest, we were there walking and standing for about and hour and a half and that is just really pushing my limits at this point. I feel like a wuss because I would normally have spent all day at this kind of thing, but that's just the way it is right now.  And we had fun for as long as we spent there.  

Once we managed to get out of the parking garage, which was an adventure in itself, we went to a big field near where we used to live to fly my old kite.   Apparently Nathan was the kite flying champion in Elementary school but try as he might he couldn't get that kite up.  I guess there's a reason the kite was on sale for five bucks--the little side fins bring it spiraling down as soon as you get it up! So we went to Wal---- to find another kite, but they were sold out. So, we drove up the highway to T.oys R Us and found a kite that he liked. It looks like a Macaw.  We saved it to fly on Sunday though, because we had planned to see a movie that night.


After we bought movie tickets we got supper in the food court and walked around for a couple of hours until the movie started.  We saw How to Train Your Dragon, which was super cute.  I actually liked it enough to buy it. 

On Sunday we didn't go to church, because I was half asleep and didn't set the alarm right.  Oops!  Instead we helped SIL and BIL go get their new couches, and they gave us theirs which are only about a year old.  A little upholstery cleaner and they'll be good as new! We are so grateful to finally have comfortable furniture that looks nice.   

This morning I dropped Nathan off at the warehouse and went to my appointment with Dr. H.  I went last week but my morning sugar numbers were a little high so he gave me a week to get them under control.  Today he said that all of my numbers look good--better than 90% of preggo's who don't have G.D.  So yay!  He also gave me a lovely compliment, saying that he admired my discipline to have quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant and now to be monitoring my blood sugar and trying to eat properly and learn about diabetes without the benefit of  all the classes and the personal nutritionist consult.  It made me feel good.  Piglet is growing well and I have to go back again in a week to get my Strep B test done.  I'm not sure if I'll have to keep going in weekly or if I'll be able to go back to the two week schedule for a while but it doesn't really matter as long as its to keep us both well. I'll also have an ultrasound a bit later on, probably around 36 weeks. That will help Dr. H determine Piglet's size and whether or not I can wait to go into labor naturally (which is my goal). Oh, and I actually lost a pound!

3 comments:

Hannatu said...

I agree with your doctor! Kuddos to you for quiting smoking and learning how to eat right for the diabetes. A healthy baby trumps everything. And I definitely wish you were here in England with me! We'd have a great time. Looks like you're carrying the bag I gave you! :)

Dusty Penguin said...

Sounds like some fun things you did. I'm so glad your sugar levels were good and you won't have to go on insulin at this point. Just really stick to eating like a diabetic and don't go back to eating other stuff. You don't want it to go back up!

Dusty Penguin said...

BTW, what's the Strep B test for?? Is Nathan still not smoking?