Monday, January 4, 2010

19 weeks, 2 days



Baby: This week, baby is getting covered in vernix. Yum. His body parts are all becoming more proportionate, and supposedly he can hear voices and will react to light. (I think this is funny because N likes to put his mouth right against my stomach and holler all sorts of random and strange things to the baby)

Me: No sickness. Occasional faintness, especially while standing and singing in church. Decent energy, need less sleep. Back to eating a normal portion size, but not super hungry yet. Did sort of indulge in all the holiday treats, so I'm hoping not to get in trouble at my next appointment. Crippling hip pain is GREATLY lessened and I hardly notice it now (thanks Doug!!) Still feel as though someone kicked me on the pubic bone with a steel toed boot, which is another side effect of SPD and one that I will have to find a female chiropractor to take care of.

I'm not sure that I ever mentioned it on the blog but since I was six weeks pregnant I've had severe pain in my hips. It was worse if I spend any time on my feet, and at times I was almost unable to stand or move. My Mom did some research and found out about SPD, or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction.    

As stated on http://www.baby-pregnancy-ultrasound-3d-4d.co.uk/Pregnancy-SPD.htm, some symptoms of SPD include: "Pain and tenderness in the area of the symphysis pubis joint can often be accompanied by pain in the hips, lower abdomen and groin. Sometimes the pain can also manifest itself in the inner thighs and in one or both buttocks. Walking and other activities exacerbate the pain. Standing on one leg can be virtually impossible, so activities that rely on this to some degree will increase the pain. Climbing stairs, getting dressed and getting in and out of cars or the bath all involve the use of one leg at a time. Women can also experience pain while trying to move in bed, lifting things, sitting down and getting up. They may also have pain if they try to spread their legs past a certain point. Sometimes there can be a clicking during hip movement felt or even heard. A tendency to shuffle along or waddle may develop as women try to distribute their weight evenly." Um, yep, yep, and yep. That described me, so I asked Dr. H about it.  He gave me the usual spiel about how it is fairly common in pregnancy and there's really nothing to do but grin and bear it, yada yada, but did clear me to go see a chiropractor.  So when we were in NY for Christmas my Dad called and got us in with Doug, a super-good chiropractor who's helped us in the past.  He snap-crackle-popped my back and hips and since then the pain has been much much less. He didn't do the actual pelvic adjustment as apparently that requires hands to be placed in awkward places but he did recommend that I find a woman pediatric chiropractor to get that done. I think that being able to walk and function would in this case be worth paying  a chiropractor every couple months, and there are a few things I've read that you can do to help. I don't know if anyone reads my blog other than my family and a few friends, but if there are any women out there with SPD who read this please let me know any of your tips to help.

2 comments:

Dusty Penguin said...

Good informational blog. Yeah, Doug! We need to clone him. Let me know if you find someone in TX who can help you.

Melissa Larabee said...

Love the new pic. Give him a rub and tell him I love him!!!