Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Randomness...

I think Piglet had a growth spurt this week, because he is seriously up in my ribs now! I started noticing last weekend that I could feel his body from the outside (well, I don't know which is head and which is butt, but I can feel them both and his little body) and throughout the week it has gotten more and more obvious.  He seems to prefer my right side, with either head or butt under my ribs.  I think my days of leaning forward are over because that seems to really wedge him up in there. He will get out sometimes if I rub him gently, but he seems to really like it up there. It's really neat to be able to feel what part is where instead of just a random kick here or there. So far he's not doing any rib breaking but I am sure that is coming. It's not comfortable to have him up there, but it's another neat feeling in the miracle of baby-growing! And let me tell you, it is a WIERD feeling to have somthing moving around UNDER your ribs. Way different than in your belly. I believe he is between three and four pounds at this point, and around the size of a 5 lb bag of taters so he's got to be getting a little smushed. That's a lot to stuff in your midsection! ;)

Yesterday I had to stop at The-Armpit-of-the-Earth for some hamburger and the (very nice) checkout lady looked at me and said, "Honey, you must be just about ready to pop any second now!" I snickered and told her I wasn't due until the end of May. I saw surprise, horror, and a little embarrasment cross her face and she finally said, "Oh, well I guess he'll be a big baby then huh." Snicker Snicker. Guess so. Also, I had a man (from our church) tell me, "Holy crap you're getting huge!" this weekend.

Now, I realize that a lot of preganant women find both of these things offensive. But really, I am getting big. And there's nothing wrong with that! It simply means that I'm growing a healthy baby in there. As long as the doctor says everything is good, then I refuse to be concerned about if my belly is larger or smaller than that of other pregnant women. I measure exactly right for how far along I am. And as long as people are saying these things with nice intentions I don't see any point in getting upset. Just laugh it off! They are just showing their concern for you.

I do, however, still draw the line at belly rubs by strangers...

And for a final piece of randomness, I woke up yesterday and realized that if Piglet comes at what is technically full term, 37 weeks, which I have given him my permission to do, he could possibly be here in under eight weeks. Eight. Weeks! Yikes! No wonder people have been asking me if I am ready. I guess it is pretty close. Realistically since I am a first time mother it isn't likely that he will be here before 40 weeks, if not later. But it was still like a bucket of ice water in the face. That is NOT VERY MUCH TIME!

4 comments:

Jerrie-mia said...

DUH!!!! April = 4 weeks, plus May = 4 weeks, plus March = 2....
All of that = 10 Weeks

Dusty Penguin said...

Yes, but she said IF he came at 37 weeks instead of 40...

When do you start birthing classes?? Better be soon! When do you get your glucose test results?

Pretty soon he will stay head up or head down. You should be able to determine soon by the area of kicking which is butt or head. If he is head up, a chiropractor can often get them to turn around.

Mommy Becoming said...

Oh dear little brother of mine...you are counting from my due date, which is 40 weeks. Like you said...DUH. :)

Mom, I don't know what to do about birthing classes. Call me. I don't know about test results either. They said 48 hours but they don't usually call if you passed. I will call them this afternoon if I don't hear anything. I plan to go to the chiropractor after N gets some more work, but my Dr said he will do an external version as well on a breech baby to try to get it to turn, if the mom doesn't want a C-section. Which I don't.

A. Kay Daniel said...

Laughing out loud and loving the family interaction here! And personally, I drew the line at belly rubs from acquaintances! One "nice" "gentleman" at church used to greet me each week with a belly rub... till I started sneaking in the back door to avoid him! :)