Monday, April 18, 2011

Cloth Diapering

Back when I was pregnant I considered cloth diapering. I decided not to at that point though because I know Shane would be with his Grammy a lot while I was working and frankly, I didn't want the bother of folding and pinning and on and on. Well, when I got laid off I started reconsidering cloth diapering. I started doing some research (WHY didn't I before? I don't know. Stupid.) and decided that the cloth diapers of my generation are NOT the clothies of yore!

So, we'll be cloth diapering, and here's why.
  • COST:  On average, a family spends 2500-3000 per kid on diapers. Cloth costs around 300 for a big stash, and you can use them for multiple children. Even factoring in extra water and electric, that was big savings for us, especially since we plan on more kids.
  • THE EARTH: While I wouldn't consider myself a treehugger exactly I do find myself becoming more and more interested in all things "hippie".  I also believe that as Christians we are called to be good stewards of the earth. Considering that disposable diapers are not biodegradable and each child produces one to two TONS of diapers between birth and potty training, that doesn't really seem like good stewardship. Cloth, of course, is biodegradable.
  • CHEMICALS:  Since having a baby I have become a lot more conscious of what I am putting in my body and in his.  Do you know how many CHEMICALS are in disposables?!?! It's insane.  The chemicals in disposable have been linked to, among other things, neurological problems and male infertility.
  • And of course, cloth diapered bums are just insanely cute. These are a few of the main reasons. There are others, like the reported lack or decrease of diaper rash.
So I ordered some Bumgenious 4.0's since they are on sale right now, and am also buying 10 off brand cloth diapers.
 I am choosing to use what are called pocket diapers. They have snaps up the front so they fit the child from about ten pounds to potty training, (look for the black dots)
 and they have an insert you stuff in the diaper and then take out to wash. 
 I'm sure I'll want to try other kinds of diapers as we go along but this is just enought to start me off with. And, they came in the mail today!

 Off-brand
 Bumgenious




No comments: