Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pumping at Work

In the famous ( or not-so) words of Inigo Montoya, “Let me ‘splain. No, let me sum up.”

I knew before I even got pregnant that I was going to breastfeed.

I knew that would mean I’d have to pump at work.

I pumped in a bathroom stall when I returned to work. (I know. Grody. I didn’t know I had an option.)

When my boss moved me out to sit in the warehouse, I told her I was pumping on my breaks.

She told me not to clock out to pump, and told the chief of security.

The chief of security reserved her conference room for me twice a day and made a “Working Mother Room” sign for on the door. She also told all of her guards to let me in with my pump and cooler. (Security is really tight here; you’re not allowed to bring in anything)

On Monday I walked back to her offices to pump. I saw that contractors had ripped out part of a wall. I asked her what was going on and she said the company is building a special “Medical Room”. For pumping mothers. Wow. I am SO touched. What a great thing for the company to do! I really, really hope that the room inspires more women to continue to breastfeed because now they can pump at work.

And wanna know something else? I feel just a teeny tiny bit responsible. I feel just a teeny tiny bit of pride. After all, if I hadn’t been determined to exclusively breastfeed, none of the whole chain reaction would have started. A lot of women here at the warehouse didn’t even know pumping was an option for moms before they saw me washing pump parts in the bathroom. A lot of women didn’t think they would have the opportunity to pump even if they wanted to before they asked me about it.

Ladies, if you live in Texas, you need to know this: It is the law that your employer must provide time and a place for you to pump.

It is the law in every state except Idaho and one other that I can’t recall at the moment that you are allowed to breastfeed in public, as long as you are not trespassing. (So don’t break in and decided to take a break to nurse!)

Praise God for the blessing of a quiet Mother’s Room. Even if they are building it just in time for me to be laid off!

1 comment:

Dusty Penguin said...

This is so great! I'm so proud of you for doing what you believe in, and to be so dedicated to it to continue pumping several times a day in uncomfortable places. I'm really excited that this company has responded to the need and that you've been part of it. Too cool!