Saturday, June 4, 2011

A year ago today...

A year ago today, my life changed irrevocably. And I would not have it any other way.

A year ago today, I looked like this:

And then, I met you:
 And I fell in love more deeply than I ever knew I could.



And then today, I woke up with you nursing contentedly by my side.
And I thought back over the past year, with all the memories; all the joys and yes, all the struggles too.
And I thought of my love for you, my hopes and dreams for you, and I thought of how much more God loves you, and the hopes and dreams He has for you.
I loved you before I met you, I loved you yesterday and today and tomorrow and forever, sweet baby boy.


Dear Shane,

Today you are one year old. A whole year! I can't believe we've been together this long, baby.  I love you so much and I'm so proud of how you've grown and changed and all you've accomplished in your short year of life. You've learned to roll, sit, crawl, walk, say a few words, sign a few words, laugh, smile, scowl, and more. Your personality develops more each day and it's so much fun to watch you become your own little person. You have a sweet laugh and smile and are generally happy and laid back. You've learned to scowl recently, and it's like looking in the mirror. You look like Daddy, but you scowl like Mama. It's very cute on you, though. You sign "more" which really seems to mean "I want" as well as signing for mama's milk.  You're working on "all done".  You love to clap for yourself when we praise you, and you give me the most mischevious over the shoulder grin when I catch you being naughty. Which is usually climbing up on the couch or trying to touch Daddy's TV.  In fact, we call you a little billy goat because you're either climbing on something or eating something, anything. You just love to play with Daddy and it melts my heart to see you laughing with him. And of course you love Mama; I can't even leave the room without you crying.  Like I said, you're pretty easy going and happy; you play very well by yourself and I think you have a big imagination already. You like to look at books and pull all your toys out of the bucket. You've learned how to put your rings on the stacker and lids on boxes, and you like to wear Daddy's hats.  I think you're a little advanced in your motor skills and probably normal in speech. You say Mama, Dada, dog, ball, hi, and bye. It's just incredible to me how your personality is coming out even just in the last few weeks and I can't wait to see what you will be like as you continue to grow. I imagine that you will be easygoing but persistent, sweet and funny, but definitely know what you want. I hope that you will be honorable and honest, a man of integrity. And I pray that you will love the Lord with all your mind, heart, and soul. I love you very much baby boy, and I hope you always know it.

Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!